All of the following people can register the .IE domain name, the owner (applicant) must be:
- an individual.
See Personal Domain Name (PDN)
- a legal company:
- Irish, UK, US Company.
- For any other country, a copy of the company's certificate of incorporation must be supplied + bills to irish customers or from irish providers
Beware: In this case, the proposed domain must have a reasonable connection with their business (company's name, product or service of the company)
- a trademark:
- Irish, UK, US and Community trademarks
- For any other country Trademark a copy of the Trademark Certificate must be supplied.
Beware: the proposed domain name must correspond closely with the TM
In all other cases, the applicant must provide a detailed letter justifying the request of the domain name and all documents necessary to prove the connection with Ireland (exports to that country, invoices sent to customers in Ireland, brochures where Ireland is mentioned, etc..)
See category 11 into the registration policy
Further information with the registration policy
in force at the registry.
A renewal extends the domain name for one year. Renewal procedure must be carried out before the domain's expiration date otherwise the domain will be removed.
Change of registrar:
Learn more about the .IE transfer procedure
Change of owner:
This procedure allows the owner to sell a domain name to a third party. A written request from the owner (signed and stamped) that he is allowing owner change must sent back to NETIM.
The procedure makes it possible to settle disputes between the owner and a third-party. More information
All irish citizen can register a personal domain name (PDN) under .IE. However the domain name must match the following formats (example John Paul Smith):
||[first name / surname]
||[first name / middlename / surname]
|| [first name / - / surname]
||[first name / - / middlename / - / surname]
|| [first name / middle initial / surname]
||[first name / - / middle initial / - / surname]
||[first initial / surname]
||[first initial / middle initial / surname]
||[first initial / middle initial / - / surname]
||[first initial / - / surname]
||[first initial / - / middle initial / - / surname]
||[middlename / surname]
||[middlename / - / surname]
||[middle initial / surname]
||[middle initial / - / surname]
It is NOT possible to register your surname only.
It is NOT possible to register your first name only.
It is NOT possible to register nicknames.
Check the list of supporting requirements below to ensure to can supply the right documentation.
If you are based in the republic:
- Irish passport
- Irish driver's licence
- Irish revenue / social welfare document showing PPS number
- Irish birth certificate
- Irish marriage certificate
- Irish utility bill (e.g.: NTL, Chorus, SKY / ESB, Airtricity / Bord Gais / Eircom / Vodafone, O2, Meteor, Three - bill pay phones only).
If you are based in Northern Ireland:
- UK driver's licence with Northern Ireland address.
- HM Revenue & Customs / Northern Ireland Social Security Agency document showing National Insurance number
- Northern Ireland birth certificate
- Northern Ireland marriage certificate
- Northern Ireland utility bill (e.g.: NTL, Chorus, SKY, UTV Internet / NIE, Airtricity / British Gas / BT / Vodafone, O2, 3, T-Mobile, Orange, BT - bill pay phones only).
Type your firstname, middlename if any, and your surname into the following form and check the availability of all the corresponding formats.
A renewal extends the domain name for one year. Renewal procedures must be carried out before the domain's expiration date otherwise the domain will be removed.
Change of registrar:
Actually it is not possible to transfer your .IE towards NETIM.